"That first day on the river, I didn't understand what I was getting into, how God was about to rearrange my priorities, break my heart, push against the thin lining of my faith, whet my tongue for a joy I'd never tasted, and open my eyes to the poor. I knew I was on the brink of an adventure of a lifetime, but I had no idea just how far the river would take me."
Book: Wherever the River Runs
Author: Kelly Minter
Pages: 256 pages
Publisher: David C. Cook
About the book:
"In Wherever the River Runs, Kelly Minter invites us on a journey down a river teeming with piranhas and caimans, as well as machete-wielding mothers, heroic jungle pastors, faith-filled children, and miracles too seldom experienced in our part of the world. Kelly's honest and engaging narrative pulls back the curtain on one of the most captivating places on earth as well as on parts of the gospel we may be able to recite but have never fully believed.
On this beautiful adventure through the jungles of Brazil and the tangles of the soul, Kelly rediscovers Jesus among a forgotten people living well beyond the corners of her previously defined faith---a people who draw her back to their country, their pain and their hope in Him, again and again.
What I loved:
- Minter uses humor to get across important key points. I found myself laughing out loud at her descriptions and observations on life.
- The author's lessons in the Amazon flowed over into her everyday life. She takes us through the journey of recognizing the needy that surround us and how we can open ourselves to be "inconveniently needed."
- Minter's approach to the poor. She reminds us of it's importance in our world, not just on a mission trip!
"If we distance ourselves from the poor, we may be able to maintain a more comfortable and certainly tidier existence and theology, but we will miss having a deeper, more abiding, and more fulfilling relationship with Jesus."
- Kelly talks a lot about her "faults" and never pretends she has it all figured out. She is just one of us trying to find her way and draw closer to Jesus in the process.
- Easy to read style that draws the reader into a two-fold story that begins in the Amazon and continues to unfold throughout every other area of her life.
"These moments were coming for all of us, the ones you can't orchestrate or plan for. When you're obedient to look after the least of these-the vulnerable, the orphan, the widow- the Holy Spirit comes with the territory."
To find out more about Kelly, visit her website.
Leave a comment below and enter for a chance to win your own copy of
Kelly Minter's book, Wherever the River Runs.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising"): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.
Only one entrant per mailing address, per giveaway. If you have won the same prize on another blog, you are not eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification.